Buying a home is one of the most significant investments a person can make in their lifetime. Along with this investment comes the responsibility of maintaining the home and its appliances, which
Small Things That Are Forgotten When Building A House
Dated: March 17 2023
When building a new home, it is essential to work with a knowledgeable builder, because it's the little things that will bother you the most. Here are some common small details that can be overlooked when building a house.
- Electrical Outlets: The placement and number of electrical outlets in a room can have a huge impact on the functionality of the space. Do you blend a smoothie every morning? Where do you want the plug for that to be? Do you have a spouse like mine that is also rearranging the bedroom or living room, did you plan for outlets to let that happen?
- Lighting: Proper lighting is important for both aesthetics and functionality. Don't forget to consider task lighting, accent lighting, and overall lighting and even if you plan on using a ton of natural light, what do you need in that area once the sun goes down?
- Ventilation: Adequate ventilation is so important for indoor air quality and can also impact your energy efficiency.
- Storage Space: Additional storage space is always a plus! It's easy to think about our bedroom closet, but think of the things you own or want to own in the future, where is the vacuum going to go? Christmas decorations? Golf clubs? Does each floor or room have the storage space you need?
- Window Treatments: Window treatments can greatly impact a room's look and privacy. Are you doing blinds, curtains, frosted glass? Don't forget to include them in your plans.
- Finishing Touches: Small details like door handles, light switches, and trim can greatly impact the overall look and feel of a room. Ask yourself Do you want a single light to be able to be turned on and off in multiple locations? Or What type of dimming switch do you like?
- Outdoor Living Space: Outdoor living spaces like patios, decks, and porches can provide extra living and entertaining space. Where do you want to spend your time outside, do you want to be screened in from the mosquitos, do you just want a grilling deck or a place for your whole family to eat outside?
- Landscaping: Don't forget about the outside of your house, landscaping can greatly impact the overall look and feel of your property. If you are an avid gardener did you have the builder or architect take that into consideration when determining the amount of space and light you need?
Remember, it's important to plan carefully and consider all the details to ensure that your dream home becomes a reality!
Born and raised in St. Paul, I had the opportunity to spend my summers boating and swimming on the lakes up north. I joined in the cycling culture of Uptown while attending the Carlson School of Manag....
Latest Blog Posts
Buying a home is one of the most significant financial decisions that anyone can make in their lifetime. It is a process that can be both exciting and overwhelming, and it is essential to make
As a realtor, I cannot stress enough the importance of loan preapproval for anyone looking to buy a home. Loan preapproval is the process by which a lender evaluates your creditworthiness and
When building a new home, it is essential to work with a knowledgeable builder, because it's the little things that will bother you the most. Here are some common small details that can be